Skip to main content

Superfood Sports Mix


I'm on a superfood kick right now and I'm eating and researching all sorts of yummy super foods to fuel my workouts and long bike rides. Hey, there's other things one can do with their time, but I prefer to geek out on nutrition. 

My latest mixture is a thick superfood smoothie. Yes, it was supposed to be a gel, but it became a smoothie instead. I drank this mixture half way through my 40 mile ride along with plenty of water and 1 honey stinger gu. I survived with plenty of energy left to burn. Check out the ingredients listed below to make your own superfood smoothie mix. I gathered them all  for a group photo. Say "superfood!"



Maca Powder - also known as Peruvian Ginseng, maca is a powerful adaptogen and assists the body balance hormones and increase stamina, immunity, and energy. The powder comes from the maca root grown high in the Andes and is well known for its ability to increase libido in men and fertility in women. It mixes well with coffee and chocolate with an earthy pungent flavor. 

Spirulina Powder - this blue green algae is a complete protein, providing all essential and non essential proteins. (Non essential proteins must be absorbed through the diet as the body cannot manufacture these.) Spirulina is a potent heavy metal detoxer, blood purifier, and antiseptic. Spirulina powder and its vitamins and minerals are quickly and easily absorbed into the body.  


Coconut Oil - This oil is all sorts of good for your skin, hair, nails, digestion, and blood pressure as it is high in unsaturated fats. The lauric acid in coconut oil can kill bacteria, viruses, and fungi so be sure to add some to your daily smoothies.


Coconut Water - a powerful natural electrolyte loaded with potassium and used to cure heat stroke in the caribbean. Just be sure you're getting pure coconut water. Check the label. If you see added sugar, flavorings, hi-temp processing, or anything claiming its fortified, be weary. Ingredients are usually fortified if they have been stripped of their nutrients during production. Stay away from ZICO and Naked Juice, these are both Pepsi Co owned. 

Honey - raw honey from an organic farm. Otherwise, you might as well just use sugar. 

Banana - any banana, i'm not picky :) 

Chia Seeds -  the runners food. These seeds are high in omega 3, fiber, unsaturated fatty acid, and loaded with protien. 4.7 grams per 1 oz!


Directions: 

For this mixture, I ground the chia seeds in a spice grinder since I didn't want them to expand overnight in the liquid and change the consistency of the mix. Once the chia seeds were ground, blend all ingredients together into a liquid that easily squeezes from the sport gel container. 

Easy on the spirulina and maca. Just use 1/2 teaspoon of each. Their flavors can be a bit...overwhelming. Balance with banana or other fruit. 

Enjoy!


Popular posts from this blog

How to deal with hitting a plateau--stay the course or say Fuck It?

Easier said than done. After 2 years on my fitness journey, I finally reached a breaking point. Yes,I had come face to face with the dreaded wall and found myself firmly stuck on a plateau and seriously questioning my motivation to carry on another day, week, year of grueling workouts. After countless hours in the gym, forcing myself to eat clean, and constantly feeling tired and sore, I was seriously wondering, "Why do I put myself through this?". I wanted to just jump to the after picture already! By this point, I was mentally exhausted, hangry and about to drop off that plateau!!I felt more and more like a hamster spinning my wheel full force to nowhere and I was ready for a break. I started to talk myself out of my workouts and summer fitness plans. I kept thinking, "Do I really give a shit if I’m ‘bikini ready’? Why should I give a damn about having a flat 6 pack??" Oh I was in deep and my mind was trying to talk me out of my all the

Pump Day: Visualize Your Goals

              Happy Pump Day everyone! We are half way through the week and still going strong. This pump day is my last night with Andrew until he takes off for a wedding in Chicago so I will be doing an early evening run with him rather than hitting the weights today, but I'm still here to offer motivation and support for you all. For that extra bit of motivation and intensity, I have found that visualizing my workouts long before I hit the gym has helped me stay focused and alert during my workouts. By visualizing myself working hard and going for the burn, I can draw on that image and feeling and use it to drive my intensity during a workout when I feel I'm starting to fade. Visualizing and planning my workout ahead of time also helps me stay accountable to shorter rest periods, doing drop sets at the end of the last set, or any other lifting strategies I choose to focus on that day to keep me focused and working hard. It always helps to imagine my 'after' p

Motivation Monday, Push Yourself

Hey everyone, I’ve been thinking a lot about fitness motivation especially in the critical moments when you’re digging deep to make it through. Here are my thoughts on it. How do you stay motivated and energized through the grind? Let me know your thoughts in the comments section. Its the end of your run and your legs are burning , you’re out of breath, and you’re starting to wonder if you’ll ever make it through .  You’re in deep, and the only way to the finish line, up that hill, or through that last rep is through pure will. This is the moment that counts. When you feel like you just can’t take another step, somehow you manage to move forward, shaky, but still going. This is where the transformation happens. This is where the real change occurs. That bit of grit that comes from your inner driving force, some thought telling you, yes you can, that instant is when your inner athlete is born. We’re all athletes regardless of physique—it’s all in the mindset. If you bring one