Skip to main content

Making Progress. This is why I love lifting


We're just over the hump and its a great time to review my workouts for the week and share my insights on why I love lifting. 

My progress so far-

I’m feeling faster and more relaxed on my running warm-up. I think the jump squats and outdoor running at least once a week has really helped my endurance and sprints. Right now, on Wednesday afternoon, I’m not feeling as sore as I usually would. Looks like I’ll need to up my intensity and increase my weights for next week. I’m not quite ready to add weight onto my back squats though, not until my core is stronger—I don’t want to hurt my back in the process or sacrifice form. ;)

This is why I love lifting. 

Overall, I’m feeling strong and accomplished this week. I love that feeling of floating on air and walking out of the gym with swagger because my legs are so tight.  Feels so good to lift, to breathe deep, and feel and see your muscles growing. When I’m pouring sweat and pushing hard I feel like I’m cleansing myself of all mental clutter and bullshit and preparing myself to feel amazing.

With every push, every set, every day, I step out of the past, out of doubt, fear, and should have’s and step  into the present—where anything is possible. 

As your thoughts expand with goals and vision, so does the body as it follows through with your plan. As you continue to press on and expand, eventually, your surroundings, your environment, circumstances, and reality will feel the ripple effect of your vision.

Let’s check out this week’s workouts so far.

MONDAY
Warm Up
6 minute run

Weights
Squats on Smith Machine 100lbs
Lunges with Barbell 50 lbs.
Leg Extensions-180lbs drop set
Hamstring Curl 45lbs
30 second Wall sit X 4
Bicep Curls with EZ Bar (not so Easy, but it feels better on my wrists)
Shoulder Press
Cool down: cuddle with Andrew and our pets.

TUESDAYLegs feel strong even after (or maybe due to) resting 3 days last week ;)
Warm UP
1 Mile Run J
Sprints: Incline at 8.0+ Speed at 7.0
1 Minute Sprint, 1 Minute Rest X 3
Feelin’ Good!!

Weights
Squats Narrow and Wide 90lb Smith Machine
Single Leg Deadlifts
Deadlifts
Pushups 15, 20 second rest, Bicep Curl 40 lbs, 20 sec. rest X 3
Ouch! Arms are definitely sore from yesterday’s curls!

Abs-
Decline Crunches
Plank with forearms on Bosu Ball. Roll out and back in (just like an ab roller, but a smaller movement)
Yes, these work!!

Wednesday 
Warm Up
Stretch and walk on stair mill 5 minutes 8 speed

Quick HIIT
25 Jump Squats
Stairmill 3 minutes 11 speed
25 Jump Squats //20 sec rest//25 Jump Squats
Stairmill 3 minutes 8 speed

Pushups 
15 wide, rest, 15 narrow x 3 sets 

Abs
Flutter Kicks
VSit Ups
Bicycle Crunches
Decline Crunches

By this time, my back was aching--it always does. I injured myself doing jump splits in drill team years ago and after years of bad habits, its only gotten worse for now, but it will get better. 

Cool down: dinner with the family and a few episodes of Ink Master

Ladies, I hope you are all staying active this week and making fun plans for the 4th! I’ll be headed back home to Austin, TX for tubing along the Guadalupe, BBQ with the girls, and 4th of July fireworks in Austin’s Zilker Park. More on that in Sunday’s post ;). 

Do Tell...
Let me know in the comments below. What are your 4th of July plans? 
Do you have a stubborn injury that just keeps acting up? 

If you like this post, let me know. Like, share, comment or follow along. :) Thanks!
Erika. 












Popular posts from this blog

How to deal with hitting a plateau--stay the course or say Fuck It?

Easier said than done. After 2 years on my fitness journey, I finally reached a breaking point. Yes,I had come face to face with the dreaded wall and found myself firmly stuck on a plateau and seriously questioning my motivation to carry on another day, week, year of grueling workouts. After countless hours in the gym, forcing myself to eat clean, and constantly feeling tired and sore, I was seriously wondering, "Why do I put myself through this?". I wanted to just jump to the after picture already! By this point, I was mentally exhausted, hangry and about to drop off that plateau!!I felt more and more like a hamster spinning my wheel full force to nowhere and I was ready for a break. I started to talk myself out of my workouts and summer fitness plans. I kept thinking, "Do I really give a shit if I’m ‘bikini ready’? Why should I give a damn about having a flat 6 pack??" Oh I was in deep and my mind was trying to talk me out of my all the

Motivation Monday, Push Yourself

Hey everyone, I’ve been thinking a lot about fitness motivation especially in the critical moments when you’re digging deep to make it through. Here are my thoughts on it. How do you stay motivated and energized through the grind? Let me know your thoughts in the comments section. Its the end of your run and your legs are burning , you’re out of breath, and you’re starting to wonder if you’ll ever make it through .  You’re in deep, and the only way to the finish line, up that hill, or through that last rep is through pure will. This is the moment that counts. When you feel like you just can’t take another step, somehow you manage to move forward, shaky, but still going. This is where the transformation happens. This is where the real change occurs. That bit of grit that comes from your inner driving force, some thought telling you, yes you can, that instant is when your inner athlete is born. We’re all athletes regardless of physique—it’s all in the mindset. If you bring one

Pump Day: Visualize Your Goals

              Happy Pump Day everyone! We are half way through the week and still going strong. This pump day is my last night with Andrew until he takes off for a wedding in Chicago so I will be doing an early evening run with him rather than hitting the weights today, but I'm still here to offer motivation and support for you all. For that extra bit of motivation and intensity, I have found that visualizing my workouts long before I hit the gym has helped me stay focused and alert during my workouts. By visualizing myself working hard and going for the burn, I can draw on that image and feeling and use it to drive my intensity during a workout when I feel I'm starting to fade. Visualizing and planning my workout ahead of time also helps me stay accountable to shorter rest periods, doing drop sets at the end of the last set, or any other lifting strategies I choose to focus on that day to keep me focused and working hard. It always helps to imagine my 'after' p